Pre-Operation Checklist & TimelineYour CKC team cares a great deal about your outcome. To optimise your outcome, we have created a helpful timeline full of useful hints to refer to leading up to your TKR.
8 weeks pre-op
Exercise 30min per day starting 8 weeks pre-op.
- The concept of Prehab not just Rehab is useful.
- Get up a sweat.
- Use an exercise bike, a lap-pool or a rowing machine.
- Hydro/Aqua classes are a great way to get fit whilst not making your knee angry.
- Train the muscles in your arms and legs to be stronger.
- Remember you will have to use crutches and strong arms/shoulders helps a lot.
- See a physio, personal trainer or gym near you for prehab if you need guidance.
Your Immune System
7 weeks pre-op
A healthy immune system fights off infection so build yours by:
- Eating well focusing on lots of vegetables, fresh-fruits and lean proteins.
- Avoiding fast-food, take-aways and avoid heavily-processed meals.
- Keep your diabetes tightly controlled with your HbA1C < 7.
- Get 8 hours of sleep at night.
- Stopping all alcohol.
- Stopping all nicotine products.
- This makes your chance of pneumonia and lung clots (PE) much lower.
- Your wound healing is far better when you don’t smoke.
Your Legal Affairs
6 weeks pre-op
Now is as good a time as any to organise:
- Your Will & Power of Attorney.
- Your Advanced Health Directive.
- Your important paperwork like life-insurance policies.
- It’s not superstitious or pessimistic – just clever to be organised.
5 weeks pre-op
- Look after man’s/woman’s best friend.
- Book your dog & cat into your local kennel/cattery.
- Avoid falling over at home post-op.
- Move mats, rugs and power-cords to avoid tripping.
- Purchase night lights to leave-on at night to light the way to your toilet.
- Fit handrails.
- Handrails from Bunnings should be fitted to bathrooms and stairways if needed.
- Prepare meals you like and label/date/freeze for use post-surgery.
- Prepare to sleep in a downstairs bedroom if possible.
- Sign-up for grocery online deliveries.
- Save your order online & submit when you know what day you will be discharged.
- Arrange a hand around the house with a gardener to mow lawns, sweep paths etc.
Your Support Person
4 weeks pre-op
- Have a close friend or family member nominated as your SP and ready to help.
- They can be on standby and in this way avoid being out-of-town when you need them most.
- They can help with driving to and from the hospital and driving to appointments at CKC.
- They should stay with you for a few days while you settle-in at home.
- They can help with shopping, collecting prescriptions and running errands & chores.
- They can be your second set of ears at appointments.
Your Apple Watch Assisted App
3 weeks pre-op
- Check-in with CKC to complete your app enrolment.
- Sign the study enrolment consent at CKC.
- CKC will call you when your Apple Watch is ready for collection at CKC.
2 weeks pre-op
- Staying accidentally on your blood thinners can cause delays in your surgery.
- Please stop any blood thinners as directed by Dr Klar.
- If you are not sure please call CKC to check
10 days pre-op
- Moisturise the skin on your legs daily for two weeks pre-op.
- Wear long trousers to prevent scratches, abrasions and grazes.
- Remember that damaged skin can cause surgery cancellation.
- Healthy skin lowers the chance of infection.
- Stay out of the garden/workshop/garage as scratches commonly occur here.
7 days pre-op
Hire the following from your local chemist, ACT Health loans service or Mobility Matters
- Canadian crutches.
- Elevated over-toilet seat.
- Shower chair.
- High-back day chair with adjustable height legs.
- Long shoe-horn.
- Pick-up grasper/reacher.
- Delivery is available.
5 days pre-op
- Remember you can’t drive for a while.
- Consider taxi coupons.
- Ask family/friends/support person to be available as drivers.
- Get familiar with Uber on your phone….it’s so reliable & easy-to-use
4 days pre-op
- Call the hospital and check they have all the necessary paperwork.
Your Apple Watch Assisted App
3 days pre-op
- Check you have the app downloaded on your phone
- Run through how to use the app
2 day pre-op
- Pack loose-fitting clothes and slip-on shoes.
- Pack shower essentials like toothbrush, combs/brushes, deodorant and shaving equipment etc.
- Bring an iPad, books, chargers & Wi-Fi tools as hospital Wi-Fi can be slow.
1 day pre-op
- It’s time to check with the hospital when you should fast from and when to arrive for admission.
- Call 6222 6666 at the time requested the day before your surgery to check these times.
- Body pre-op wash.
- Remember to wash your whole body from head-to-toe including all the nooks and crannies with the 3M
- Do this the night before your op and 2hrs before your surgical time
Make an Appointment
Make an appointment online for a consultation at
Canberra Knee Clinic.